Monday, June 23, 2014

Waiting

Rules player or radical?
Gut instinct or gut wrenching?

The sentence I just erased was grousing that I seldom like blazing a trail...sounded like a good southern girl sentiment but it was wrong.  I'm not sure why I still downplay my fearlessness.  No one is making me fit into that mold anymore and truthfully, I haven't conducted my life as such.  But I have been quiet about it and have often passed off my adventures as someone else's idea.

Alone again tonight and observing these two cats play out what I'm thinking...one sits shyly by the opening in fear of pushing open the door.  The other?  She charged through as usual and joins me listening to the birds and enjoying the breeze.

Just as people, their personalities and histories play a part of their present behavior.  I can't know what they went through before I adopted them just as I can't fathom the pasts of new acquaintances.  Waiting for a tentative new behavior is maddening when I can see what's best for them but I wait with the expectation that patience will embolden their bravery.

Friends who need to be pushed out of their comfort zone, children who need to be pulled back from recklessness and parents being urged to indulge themselves...it's comforting to know that I'm needed and helpful that I can quietly provide some guidance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUIETLY
Quietly waiting,
We sit and observe
Our time slipping away.

Patiently tapping,
We watch one another as
A move is deliberated.

Skillfully shifting,
Our vision becomes clear
And a door emerges.

Breathlessly stepping
Together on a path
Made for two.

Walking quietly,
Side by side
Into one.
,













No comments:

Post a Comment