Saturday, July 26, 2014

Poem in Death

A cemetery conversation from the ground up to the Ivy….


I didn’t know it was like this.
No one did.
But this isn’t how it should be.
Why?
Because I live in marble.
You’re dead.
But it’s marble and you’re in dirt.
With the people.
Yes, and I’m in marble.
With the marbles?
NO…with all of us.  All of us are here.
Your family?
Yes.  The UpScots.
All of you are dead.
You’re dead.
But I’m free.  You’re in marble.


I don’t think it’s fair.
Fair?  That’s something that comes to town once a year.
We built this town…my family.
It’s nice but actually, you just paid for the town.
Our money paid for your people to work.
Paid us very little so we lived very simply.
You stayed, didn’t you?
We did and chose to live happily.
So you should thank us.
We did by living here and supporting this town.
Then why is it like this?  We are special, the UpScots.
Special for what?
Everything.  Our pedigree.  Our schooling.
Your schools are beautiful.
They were covered in ivy!
They still are.
But I can’t see them.
It’s the marble.  Very strong.
The finest from Italy!
It is beautiful.
I can’t see it either.
That’s a shame.
It’s cold in marble.
It’s cold out here in the winter.
But you’re used to it.
True, and I know that spring will come.

Is someone coming?
Yes, they come every day.
I can’t see them.
Marble.
Why does it get so loud?
There are many who come.
Every day?
Not so many in the winter.
Ah ha, so you aren’t that special.
No, I am simple.
But I am marble.
Perhaps they will notice you today.
Yes, because marble is special.
How long will it be like this?
Forever, I think.
Like this in my marble?
Someone planted ivy by your wall.
Ah ha, because we’re the UpScots.
It will grow quickly.
Yes and be beautiful.
That makes you happy?
Of course! 
Good.
What grows on you?
Footprints.
Naturally, they walk all over you.
Yes, every day and they touch me.
Touch your stone?
Always.  Many hands.
How rude?  What do you look like?
I’m simple.  Just a stone cross.

Is it winter yet?
Almost.
Why is it getting harder to hear you?
The ivy.  You’re almost covered now.
Excellent!  I must be beautiful.
It’s getting hard to see you.
I knew we were special.
Because of the ivy?
Because we are the UpScots.
Your name is gone.
Impossible.  I am engraved marble.
Covered by ivy.
The leaves will fall away in winter.
Yes.
People will see our name again.
Perhaps.
What do ivy leaves grow on?
The strong backs of its vines.
That sounds ugly.
Compared to the glossy leaves…yes.
But our leaves will return to cover it.
Thicker and stronger than before.
Yes, ivy and marble are special.
Then why are you talking to me?
It’s not supposed to be like this.
I think it is.

I can barely hear you.
And you can’t see me.
Are they still coming?
Every day.
Do they like me?
Perhaps, you aren’t mentioned.
We are the UpScots.
Ivy covered marble.
It’s cold.
No, it’s spring and warm.
Wait, tell me more.
Are you there?
I didn’t know it would be like this.













No comments:

Post a Comment