Sunday, July 6, 2014

My Own Two

Now that both children spend the bulk of their time away from me with their summer jobs, school, etc., I've been plotting how to stay connected to the vibrant world they inhabit.  Not by being a FB or Instagram stalker of their own activities, but staying in touch with the wondrous pop culture that interests them and causes them to reflect and react.

Assuredly, being around teens keeps one youthful and that is part of the loss I'm feeling as they are leaping from the nest.  I miss the running commentaries about new gadgets, up and coming music, ridiculous television shows, and their unique perspectives concerning world events.

Yes, we are so much more linked than I was at this age.  Then, it might have been one phone call home per week and an occasional letter and now we can actually engage with them on social media...no, that would be going too far.  We can actually look at their postings but heaven forbid we "like" or comment too often.

If I were to go back into the school system as a substitute teacher, it would be much easier to dip my toe into youth culture but admittedly, after six years of dealing with high school and my kids, I'm not interested in that venue any longer.

Young people besides my own two might give me that touchstone of culture that I'm missing...but truly, is it that I miss hearing the musings of youth or just my own two?  With that, I'll try to follow along as I see their funny quips online and links to follow as something catches their eye.  It won't be the same but I will try to see it as better.  After all, I've tried to teach them to stay engaged and hungry for knowledge and experiences that will enhance their lives and propel them to reach out to others.

If I'm lucky, they may still reach out to me to share a tidbit now and then....

No comments:

Post a Comment