Saturday, July 26, 2014

Aching Time

The weight of another's heart is heavy.

Upon encountering a past lover, one who truly professed l-o-v-e and was gently deferred by me was more painful than I expected.  I say gently yet I know he felt it was harsh because of his angry words...striking out in pain is a reflex action as we try to protect our most vulnerable organ, the heart.

Science can now tell us why heartbreak feels so real yet humanity has tried to deal with it by simply acknowledging its power.  Our poems, songs, prose, art have given us balm for the fracture our hearts endure.  This helps but mostly by diluting the suffering among us...what else can connect one to another but the common feeling of heartbreak.

I'm hyper sensitive to imposing pain on another because I've been the recipient of its unwelcome arrow.  My assumption is that the one injured feels it as much as I do causing it but I'm learning this is not true.  All of us deal with it differently and my experience is just mine, my reflexive reaction and I cannot assume that it is the same.

Now, I accept my actions can produce pain in another but a short term pain is better than a long term denial of what is to come...separation of two hearts needs a careful surgeon for ultimate healing.

The weight of a scalpel is heavy in one's hand....

No comments:

Post a Comment