Monday, July 28, 2014

Good Fortune

Behind every cloud, a silver lining?


John Milton coined the phrase 'silver lining' in Comus: A Mask Presented at Ludlow Castle, 1634
I see ye visibly, and now believe
That he, the Supreme Good, to whom all things ill
Are but as slavish officers of vengeance,
Would send a glistering guardian, if need were
To keep my life and honour unassailed.
Was I deceived, or did a sable cloud
Turn forth her silver lining on the night?
I did not err; there does a sable cloud
Turn forth her silver lining on the night,
And casts a gleam over this tufted grove.

Today, unexpected fortune rained down on me.  It didn't arrive from the pot at the end of a rainbow but the unexpected source of a past dark cloud.  

It made me think of the "silver lining" phrase and I've been pondering its timeliness.  For all the missteps that I've taken and nasty trip-ups I've been given, I seem to receive much goodness.  How can that be?  How did I become so fortunate?

My mother's prayers?  My friends' vigilance?  My children's support?  My dogged nature?

No answer from the universe comes tonight except this beautiful "silver lining."  In the past, I would have been skeptical, somewhat angry that I was chosen to be so lucky, as though I wasn't worthy enough to be chosen.  My questions don't have to be answered anymore.  They're just thrown out there in wonder as I try to see my own "glistering guardian" who protects me.

No comments:

Post a Comment