Monday, October 15, 2012

Whither thou goest...

Seeing and feeling the angst of teenage girls as they got ready for a Homecoming dance was the stuff of my 80's chick flick movies.

It was Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, and St. Elmo's Fire all rolled into one and there was absolutely nothing I could do but watch in awe.  No words of encouragement would assuage their anxieties.  Actually, it was part of their mosaic of fun.  Every misstep of make-up, dress, shoes, clutch, and HAIR was monumental!  Their trio of support, encouragement, and criticism had enough lines to fill up the first half of the movie...the second half...gut wrenching observations of the evening and its characters.

I didn't have an opportunity to attend these kinds of dances in high school.  I certainly didn't have the support of young women like these until I went to college and joined my sorority and the fun factor...these girls are years ahead of where I was!

Watching them evolve, slip up, recover, and succeed will be a highlight in life for me the next two years.  Whither thou goest...I'm honored to be invited and relive some of my own youthful exuberance.

No comments:

Post a Comment