Saturday, October 13, 2012

Murky Victory

Why question the teacher?

I literally went into the drink...Lake Virginia...and I hated it.  I hated the thought that I would be perceived as weak when I wanted to be seen as strong.  I detested that I did not know what my reaction would be once the dunking happened.  Splash.

Freak out.  Agitation.  Embarrassment.  And then focus.  I found my focus and felt my determination rise up. This issue I have with large bodies of murky water has haunted me since high school. I have been scared.  I tried to overcome it by taking classes and then forcing myself into the water with my children but it's remained a fearful whisper all these years.

Paddle boarding looked interesting.  And it is fun.  And I'm not so scared anymore.  Actually, I'm excited to explore this new hobby.  The characters who tend to do this sport are eclectic.  Perhaps because it is outside the norm of water sports, it draws a more adventurous spirit to try it!  I took the bait.  I felt like a conqueror when I finished the class and I may have gotten a C had I been graded as I did fall in.  But for the grade most necessary in life, the grade of effort...I definitely earned an A+ because I conquered it rather than letting it overwhelm me.

If the teacher is fear, then let me learn from fear everyday and evolve ever forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment