Friday, October 19, 2012

Lonely?

How many Friday nights spent alone do I have to look forward to in my life?  And why am I smiling about what sounds like a desperate situation?

Maybe it is settling in that I have the choice to spend my Friday nights alone versus forcing myself to appear content and engaged.  There is no one else in this apartment and I am o-k-a-y with that!  I'm okay!  I feel completely empowered with the strength of a woman who is living life on her own terms.  So, my plans didn't work out for the evening.  Looking at my options, it wouldn't have taken much of a scramble to fill my newly free hours with another person.  But I made the right choice.  I chose me.

I get to eat what I want.  I get to enjoy lounging around in an old and unattractive dress.  My cat and I are eyeing the bed but really, isn't it too early?  ha ha  It would be fun to be with my kids, but their plans with others take precedence at this age.  I have some girlfriends who would come over or go out with me...but hanging with just myself on a traditional date night is a gift that I've worked toward and I will not denigrate its importance.  I don't have to pretend I'm happy while in the presence of another person...instead, I'm alone and I AM HAPPY!

Friday nights with just me, Lisa, are going to be enjoyable for a while.  I will keep my eyes open for that special person to begin sharing them again.  I was meant to walk in tandem with another but for now, watching baseball, eating popcorn instead of dinner, and sucking down some chardonnay make for a fabulous Friday night spent all alone!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment