Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Teacher

Who's teaching who?  The longer I am a parent, the more I realize the roles are being reversed as I watch my children share their lessons of youth.

My daughter is showing incredible grit as she faces the basketball court each day.  Her team's chance of winning grows less and less as the season progresses.  Still, she gives 110% each game and stays hopeful that things will turn around.  110%   That kind of effort keeps me motivated.  I certainly haven't felt like facing my challenges lately and yet, how can I think of giving less than what my daughter does as she faces her losing season.

Perhaps her biggest lesson is showing me how to relax in front of the boob tube.  Who knew that watching RuPaul's Drag Race, a transgender beauty contest, could collapse us into a ball of girlish giggles as we wish for our very own Gay Man Best Friend for Christmas.  Not a chance...ha ha ha!

My son will admit that he has lived a privileged life and still, he has a sense of what he must do to replicate it as an adult.  Finding his passion in the martial arts has given him a dilemma that he faces a few times a week. The kid who drove a BMW and a DeLorean in high school, now takes the city bus to his beloved karate studio.  It's a 3 hour trek round trip.  Sure, choosing public transportation is something countless students do daily and may not be counted as special but seeing my kid accept it without complaint so that he can continue his passion gives me great hope.  The lesson is simple...the path to a passion lies in the wanting of it, not in the way we get to it.  The wanting carries us even as obstacles lie in our path.


No comments:

Post a Comment