Friday, November 23, 2012

Follydays

It's a grand thing to sit in this beautiful Florida warmth and know that the follydays are just around the corner.   I have no sentimental yearnings for snow and ice as I navigate my way through the next couple months.  I love the warmth of the sun versus the sting of cold air.

Feeling the tug at my heart during this year's Halloween, I'm actually worried now about my reaction to not having my kids all through the Thanksgiving and Christmas season.

Part of it is finding my nest emptying and the other part...just a nostalgia for simpler times.  I don't miss the compulsive nature of my old mate when it comes to meal, party, or gift preparation.  I can sense that my kids miss me as part of the craziness at their house.  What they can't understand is how toxic those critiques of my efforts slowly corroded my self esteem.

I can happily screw up now and be a part of a holiday that isn't so stressful or perfect.  Was it just folly that I thought it would get better one day?  Maybe not folly...after all, it is getting better!

No comments:

Post a Comment