Wednesday, August 13, 2014

To Every Thing There is a Season

Listening now....

This song became an international hit the year after my birth which may be why I've enjoyed it as an "oldie" but not as anything more.

Surprisingly, the main lyric has been flitting through my brain the last couple of weeks.  I like to be mindful of messages whether they come from within or externally.  After spending the last few days contemplating my impending empty nest, the death of one of my generation's greatest comedic influences, and the puzzling events of my romantic life, I finally researched the lyric.

More surprises.  It's a Bible verse.  I expected a poem or an interesting tale behind the writing of the lyrics but not only is it a verse, it is one of  a handful that has been recorded successfully in popular music.  Although the sequence of the words is changed a bit and a couple of lines were added by Bob Seeger, it remains scripture set to music.  And I guess that makes sense of why it had been in my head...I have been exposed recently to a myriad of spiritual messages.

My patience has been tested this summer and I consider myself time tested and victorious in that arena...I'm pulling back on my hubris now!

Patience.  Inner discipline.  Steadfastness.  Faithfulness.

All these qualities are what I've built my life on in this last decade of turmoil.  There is a fine line between letting the inevitable take place and taking charge of making events happen.  We have to be forthright to push our lives onward but I've learned that pushing too soon just means that life has to be redirected down the road and THAT is a frustrating endeavor.

And so the push and pull continues as I receive and process all of life's messages.  When it appears to be a code that I cannot understand, I step back to reassess.  Perhaps I can't understand the message if I haven't learned a lesson to make it so...and yes, I'm reminded of my favorite video games when doing this!

Turn!  Turn!  Turn!

And after posting this, I see in my email that I have this message from Robin Korth's weekly thoughts:

A question of judgment

Judging others is an ugliness of spirit that darkens my world.

In judging others, I make myself feel better about myself without doing any work.

I cheat the universe and myself of the potent growing of my own spirit.

I also willfully step on the beingness of another--thinking I have a right to.

*A very poignant reminder that being a mindful person means cutting others some slack.  Each of us deserves the space to find ourselves or sadly, to hang ourselves....



No comments:

Post a Comment