Friday, August 8, 2014

Pain and growth

The stillness of life can be peaceful.  It can also be the calm before a storm, almost as if the universe or God is prepping one to collect extra strength.

Life's pathways are so often strewn with the debris of passed storms and yet, many of us clear the way and continue on.  I've always been puzzled why others don't.  What makes one person keep moving and another sit beside the path?  How is it that fear paralyzes us when it seems prescient to escape the damage and find smoother trails?

Good people as well as bad face this dilemma.  Drawing forth the courage to progress rather than wallow is part of humanity that challenges our morality, our sensibility, our commitment to being wholly healthy.  All parts of our being stagnate if one element is left to wither.

Success then can be rationalized by those who remain sitting versus moving.

"I sit because I WILL be happy in this storm's debris."  And their sitting becomes firmer the longer they do so.  How is it possible that we rationalize it within ourselves?  I know that I have sat in my life storm's debris to keep the status quo and not upset the trek of others on their paths.  Somehow, I believed I was helping others by NOT helping myself.  It wasn't true and the soul of me rebelled to rise up and clear my path to happiness.

Philosophy, religion, the arts take part in the human dilemma of pain and growth...one not happening without the other.  The muscles of our being don't become toned without dealing with life's storms...the aftermath...the debris cluttering our paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment