Saturday, August 16, 2014

Fractured Focus

I mismanage multi-tasking.  It's not part of my skill set nor is it something I aspire to conquer.  Instead, I have made peace with the fact that my life cannot be joyful if my mind is running in different directions.  Science is actually on my side with this one.  MORE....

Knowing this and practicing it are two different beasts.  This stage of my life is so full of promise and excitement that I get overwhelmed with it all.  I want to soak in multiple experiences because I truly believe we ought to live as if tomorrow will not occur.  And that's a problem.  It's a popular quote but isn't feasible.  It fractures our focus and can paralyze our productivity.

I come from a long line of "busy bees" and we like to get shit done!  Perhaps it's because of my farm upbringing that I don't count on opportunities being available.  If the crop wasn't properly taken care of or harvested on time, Mother Nature would show up and give us a punch in the face.  "No time like the present" meant more than a Pinterest quote; it meant the difference between hardship and rest during the winter.

By not having children or a homestead depending on my daily productivity, I confront my day's potential far differently.  It is absolutely the FIRST time in my adult life that no one is depending on my productivity.  Even as a child, I understood that if I didn't complete my chores then my mother's life would be harder.  Other than my two feline friends, my daily presence isn't necessary for another's contentment.  My presence is simply for mine alone.

Startling.

This huge looking glass placed in front of me could easily be fractured if I don't maintain my focus.  Purposeful living for oneself is alien to me but I instinctively understand that my success in this endeavor is paramount.  Tomorrow's excitement depends on today's contentment...NOT on today's production.

No comments:

Post a Comment