Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Village

How unnatural is it for middle aged people to be alone?  Statistics say it's more common than not with divorce rates but society sees the anomaly of it.  I don't mind being quizzed about my state of singularity.  In fact, I've found it to be helpful as as my peers begin the process of matching me with another single soul.

The widening circles of online communities connect us whether we like it or not.  I choose to like it because it's not going to disappear and living with it is more rational than fighting it.  Besides the friends and family who recommend a FB friend, I am signed up with the curious world of online dating.

"My village" of prospective dates is made up of personalities that I could never duplicate in my actual world.  When I'm working, I'm at the keyboard, not in an office setting.  Or, I'm out having my photo taken and although it's fun to be waved at on the street...I don't necessarily want to date the truck driver seeing my photo shoot!  Even my studio sessions aren't with a wide variety of men...a photographer, an assistant, perhaps a client representative.  They see beautiful men and women on a regular basis and one more pretty face is just that...one more that doesn't stand out from a crowd.

My girlfriends and I have weighed the pros and cons of online dating and yes, we find it lacking.  We also find it liberating to be able to quickly say yea or nay to a prospective date.  This kind of date shopping makes me feel as if I'm becoming desensitized to what really matters.  Each time I decide to take a break from dating, someone connects with me and I feel that tug toward being with a man.  It's nature I suppose and while I admire those women who have championed the "be alone and learn about yourself" modicum, I'm happier sharing special times with special people.  No amount of girlfriends or cats can make up for a lack of physical and emotional connection that only comes from being with a man.  Perhaps if I had not been with a man for so long, it wouldn't seem so strange to be alone.  I don't want to get used to it and settle for being happy by myself.  I'd rather do the work and enjoy the "two against the world" mentality that worked for so long for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment