Monday, November 24, 2014

A Lesson Learned

“Education is not preparation for life, education is life itself.”  John Dewey

This is the approach I'm using as I seek enlightenment concerning the next half of my life.  I have friends who persistently delay starting new projects, relationships, travel, career changes and all because they want to educate themselves before making a move.  Preparation certainly makes transitions easier but used as a crutch, it stymies true growth.

Often, I will commit to a life enhancing event for the simple motivation of it; preparation then becomes highly effective with the pressure of time!  In these last weeks of the year, of my first 50 years, I'm resisting the urge to set a monumental goal for completion.  My life has been extraordinary and I'm pleased that I've been busy LIVING it rather than preparing for it.  Sometimes I get frustrated with not having new experiences come at a daily pace but that's when I remember how easy it is to lose one's mindfulness.  I find that forgiving myself becomes easier and acceptance of life's mundane moments is part of the process.  In fact, it's probably nature's way of helping our systems rest and reboot for the next great event we have planned.

Life is teaching me and as an eager and clumsy student, I often make mistakes.  But I have realized that harsh reprimands only come if I force them on myself.  I'm very grateful that I've learned patience by living rather than preparing....



No comments:

Post a Comment