Friday, July 12, 2013

Character

I stood in a very long Disney line two days ago and it wasn't at the theme park.  Instead, I was there upon request of my agent to be cast for still photos etc. for their website and print.  What I observed has me thinking of how we process our own attractiveness.

What should have taken 30 minutes instead took 5 hours plus and the bulk of that was spent standing in a line outside being exposed to sun and humidity.  As I became close acquaintances with 4 models around me, I'm left to wonder at our own tenacity.  Somehow, we rationalized our situation and refused to give up on the process.  Is that simply another human characteristic or an American quirk?

Our discussions ranged from the need of employment for the younger set to the possibilities for two of us in the older set.  Disney wanted to cast a variety of individuals for all ages of "family" with an emphasis on cute kids and attractive older people.  Apparently, the older models were driven away by the wait and the conditions with the exception of the beautiful 73 year old who was part of our "line crew."

We were duly impressed with how congenial the participants were...showing off their Disneyesque personalities even under miserable conditions.  Arguments did not flair up, line hopping wasn't an issue, even the children who had every right to be upset were behaving or simply taken home once the parents realized that the wait was going to take HOURS!!

Did all of us have such a strong belief in our own attractiveness?  I think in large part...we did!  Ouch.  My new friends and I discussed this and agreed  it's an industry based in narcissism.  Why can't we represent for our age group as well or better than someone else?  And that level of confidence in our own attractiveness kept us waiting.  One doesn't become a model without having been told that we are special.  Double ouch.

I see WAY MORE beautiful women than I on a daily basis.  They aren't modeling or waiting in long lines for a 2 minute photo session....  But facing attractiveness and understanding what it is without apologizing is a continual struggle for me.  There is a market for everything and my currency is mid life beauty.  It isn't a curse or a blessing, it's just another part of my character.  What it can do though is alter whether or not I feel I am "acting" as a character in my own life or fulfilling my life based upon good character.

No comments:

Post a Comment