Monday, December 8, 2014

Fiction in the Familiar

"Good fiction is the truth inside a lie."  Stephen King

Puzzling at first, SK's comment hits its mark with me.  I struggle with my perceived outward visage and yet I embrace its protective mask.  It's not easy to pull it aside but when I do, the stronger parts of me reveal themselves.  And when I write about it, the words ring with eloquence and clarity.

At this stage, one would think I would be toughened by 50 years of life experience.  However, my new found courage and strength still gingerly unfolds its wings.  I struggle with the process and worry that I might be damaged as I expose who I've become.  And yet, without the leap of faith, I can't test this new truth.

Fiction in the Familiar

New life is fragile,
Hope brings tears,
Tears unveil fears,
And strength becomes happiness.

No scratches or scars
On new armor yet seen,
Shiny dreams reflected
On the faces of me.

Balance is needed
As I creep near the edge,
Abyss and emptiness
Beyond the sharp ledge.

Stepping away from the
Warmth of my fears,
Entering a chasm,
Not knowing what's near.

Breath taking wind,
My new face revealed,
Glowing and burning,
My fiction is real.

Familiar now,
I recognize the fall,
Flying toward
Becoming it all.




No comments:

Post a Comment