Friday, December 19, 2014

What is Your Why

Mario Armstrong pushes us to think about our answer to "What is your why?"


His emphasis lies in helping us expand our conversations and thereby, expanding our own thought process of WHY we do what we do.  As another new year rolls around, unfulfilled resolutions litter our thinking.  How did 12 months pass without us accomplishing our goals?  Or, what made us successful at reaching another peak?

And so I ask myself...What is my WHY for choosing certain goals?  Is my aim to achieve for the sake of accomplishment or to achieve for the sake of my personal growth?

For me, they are symbiotic.  I like the thrill of crossing a finish line but the gift of maturity is feeling peaceful with not coming in first.  When one of my resolutions begins to go awry, I forgive myself, tweak the goal, and still accomplish more than I did the previous year.

In a goofy state of mind, I decided to visit a new place in Florida for each month of the year beginning with the first letter of each month.  J, F, M...I tired of it after 3 months and decided to just visit a new place monthly rather than stay dependent upon a letter in the alphabet!

It's easy to get caught up in the trendiness of resolutions and problematic when we can't stick to those goals BUT, tis the season to pivot our thinking and trust in our original intent.  The unfolding of a New Year is upon us and even if we're struggling to answer all of our WHYS, we can at least make steps forward with the hope of finding an answer by DOING something!


No comments:

Post a Comment