Thursday, January 22, 2015

Summertime Life

Listening to Ella Fitzgerald stroke these lyrics so masterfully is evidence that art transcends its medium.  Her voice paints a picture, inspires hope, and evokes a dreamlike state that we fall into while pondering our own creativity.

Gershwin had the genius for placing pitch perfect words into a semblance of rhythm that musicians then alter to fit their own style.  Listening to this perfection of song including lyric, melody, and a songstress whose performance was heartfelt motivates me to find my words, my inner aching beauty, and my "Summertime" whenever I choose.

Often, I refer to midlife as a transition into the autumn of life.  Hearing art such as this though reminds me that "Summertime" does not have to depart.  I can choose to fly away from it, above it, around it, and beyond it at my whim.  It is true freedom when we can choose to transcend our medium...either in the reality of art or the promise of escaping life through art.



Summertime Life

My sighs and woes
My highs and lows
A turn to dark
A turn to glow
Forever thoughts?
Forever moans?
A mystery sought
A mystery grown
My dark and light
My heart and sight
Forever lost?
Forever found?
My sighs and woes
My breaths and moans
A turn made right

A turn to flight

No comments:

Post a Comment